Colorado Fire Relief Fund tops $1 million in pledges | Community Spirit
Gov. John Hickenlooper announced today the Colorado Fire Relief Fund 2012 has received more than $1 million in pledges to support intermediate needs of wildfire victims this year.
“Coloradans are demonstrating a tremendous willingness to help those impacted by the wildfires,” Hickenlooper said. “We will be forever grateful to the individual donors, businesses and others who are giving their time and money to help others recover and rebuild.”
The Colorado Fire Relief Fund 2012 is administered by the Denver Foundation and chaired by David Miller. A board composed of CEOs at community foundations in the areas most affected by the fires this year will determine how funds will be awarded.
“We are committed to making sure this fund is advised by local communities and that the money gets to those who need it most and where other resources are not available,” said Miller, president and CEO of the Denver Foundation.
The fund was created on June 28 and is actively connecting with local communities to identify needs, to determine a process to receive proposals and to distribute funds. “We are learning a lot from the people who handled donated funds for victims of the San Diego fires in 2003 and 2007,” said Jamie Van Leeuwen, senior advisor to Hickenlooper. “We are committed to defining a process that is both transparent and accountable.”
The grant process is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
The Colorado Fire Relief Fund 2012, which is designed to handle gifts of $1,000 or more, is partnering with El Pomar Foundation and other funding partners to ensure that award distribution between different wildfire support funds is coordinated. More information about how to donate directly to an organization or how to help can be found at www.helpcoloradonow.org.
For more information about the Colorado Fire Relief Fund 2012, contact Karla Maraccini at Community Partnerships in the Office of the Governor at email@example.com or 303-866-3700.
Upcoming Events near Castle Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion