Castle Rock police capture suspected gunman | News
CASTLE ROCK, Colo. — Emergency notifications were issued to about about 2,000 people as police searched Thursday morning for a man who they say shot at them from a bush.
Around 6:40 a.m., the suspect, Lonnie James Pebley, 41, was taken into police custody.
The Castle Rock Police Department responded to calls at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 1200 block of South Ridge Road to follow up on a suspicious circumstance involving a man with a gun in a bush at Appleton Way and South Ridge Road.
According to Ron Hanavan of the Douglas County Police Department, officers reported fire came from the bush, at which point they returned fire. Police say a number of patrol cars were hit by bullets.
Police launched a manhunt that lasted throughout the night and they c
aught the suspect in the area just after 7 a.m. Thursday.
Police agencies from Denver and Douglas County helped conduct the search.
Castle Rock Police Chief Jack Cauley says, “He was loose so it was very important for the public’s safety to get him in custody as soon as possible.”
Police say Pebley didn’t put up a fight when he was arrested and taken to the Douglas County Detention Center.
Pebley is charged with Attempted First Degree Murder of a Police Officer. His bail is set at $2 million.
Upcoming Events near Castle Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion