Gov. Hickenlooper lifts statewide fire ban | News
DENVER – Crediting recent wetter and cooler weather, Gov. John Hickenlooper lifted a statewide fire ban Sunday. Local fire restrictions may still be in place.
According to a statement issued by Gov. Hickenlooper’s office, extreme fire conditions have abated in all 64 counties. Recent moisture-laden thunderstorms, along with cooler and wetter short- and long-term forecasts prompted the decision.
Local fire restrictions may still be in place.
“Mother Nature is finally giving us some relief,” Hickenlooper said. “Even though the 2012 wildfire season is far from over and still challenging, we believe conditions are such that local authorities and federal land managers ought to resume control over fire bans in their jurisdictions. Many counties have fire bans in place that will not change as a result of this Executive Order.”
The wildfire season will continue for the next few months and a few counties continue to experience high fire danger.
No new wildfires have been reported and “existing major fires in Colorado are well contained,” according to Hickenlooper.
Wildfire containment updates:
- 100% High Park Fire
- 98% Waldo Canyon Fire
- 90% Weber Fire
- 40% Little Sand Fire
“We commend the people of Colorado for complying with the fire ban and the efforts of fire fighters, local law enforcement, federal land managers, Colorado National Guard, United States military and all other first responders for their assistance and collaboration during this wildfire season,” Hickenlooper said. “We will continue to monitor the fire danger across the state and re-enact the state-wide ban if necessary as conditions change.”
The fire ban ordered June 14 applied to open burning, including campfires, warming fires, charcoal grill fires, fused explosives and private use of fireworks.
“We encourage Coloradans to be ever vigilant and continue to use extreme safety precautions when using open flames or undertaking any activity that poses a risk of starting a fire,” Hickenlooper said.
Upcoming Events near Castle Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion