'Most Wanted' child molester from Colorado arrested | News
DENVER -- U.S. Marshals announced Tuesday the arrest of Richard Carl Heeringa, a convicted child molester who has been on the run from Douglas County since April 2010.
He has been on the U.S. Marshals 15 Most Wanted list.
A jury convicted Heeringa guilty of 17 counts of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust and failure to register as a sex offender. He faces more than 500 years in prison.
Heeringa, 55, was arrested in Detroit Saturday, October 29. A news conference was scheduled about the arrest later Tuesday in Denver.
The suspect fled in the middle of the night on April 15, 2010, the same day the jury reached its guilty verdict. He had been on the run since then.
Heeringa has two other sex assault cases pending in Colorado and he has served 12 years in prison for a sex assault conviction in Michigan.
U.S. Marshals investigators say shortly after being released from prison in 2004, Heeringa met a single mother from Colorado.
He moved to Colorado and began living with the mother and her daughter. He soon began sexually abusing the 12 year old and continued the abuse until January 2008, when the child came forward with allegations of sexual abuse.
"Richard Heeringa is a predator, who has a track record of preying on young girls," said U.S. Marshals spokesman Geoff Shank when Heeringa was added to the 15 Most Wanted list.
Upcoming Events near Castle Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion