Heavy traffic expected during this week due to 4th of July | Transportation
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) is reminding drivers to anticipate heavy traffic in many areas of the state during 4th of July week.
“This is traditionally the beginning of the busy summer traffic season. The snow is all gone, the children are out of school and vacation travel is building,” says CDOT Executive Director Don Hunt. “With the July 4th holiday falling in the middle of the week, we’re expecting to see a significant jump in traffic before and after the actual holiday so people should make their travel plans accordingly.”
To reduce potential delays, all CDOT construction projects will be suspended statewide on Wednesday. Most projects will continue operating Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; others will be suspended all week. The only exception is for emergency operations.
Heavier than normal traffic should be anticipated on the state’s main thoroughfares, including Interstate 25 and Interstate 70, especially between Vail and the Denver area.
The 2011 Fourth of July weekend traffic count at the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial Tunnels is listed here.
However, since Independence Day is Wednesday, traffic counts traditionally are higher than normal but lower than when the 4th includes a weekend.
Please be aware that due to this year’s wildfires, a highway can be closed at any time to facilitate firefighting activities, evacuations or for other public safety functions. Additional information regarding fire bans and fireworks restrictions is available at www.colorado.gov
Information regarding the opening and closing of the state’s highways is available at all times on the cotrip.org website or by calling 511. Free updates also are offered via text and e-mail. Please visit and click on the cell-phone icon in the upper right-hand corner. The link takes you to a list of highways, corridors and projects available for subscription. Updates are also available via Twitter @coloradodot and be sure to “Like” our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/coloradodot.
Upcoming Events near Castle Rock
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Multi-vehicle crash closes NB I-25 in south metro Denver, several hurt
- Water main break may close Centennial street for multiple days
- Broncos coach John Fox, 700 other men get together to fight breast cancer
- Explosions, 3 floors engulfed during 2-alarm Centennial condo fire
- Second robber convicted after victim fought off two attackers with a hammer
- Someone may be shooting randomly at cars on Jefferson County highways
- Group threatens to sue charter school over students’ charitable project
- Ramp from EB C-470 to NB I-25 closed for emergency repairs
- Tip about explosive device leads to bomb squad search at Chatfield H.S.
- 7th grader’s beer experiment heading to International Space Station
- Police: Man tries to lure Parker teens into vehicle attached to camper
- Former Littleton officer pleads guilty to firearm, drug trafficking crimes
- VIDEO: Residents spot moose wandering loose in Parker
- Family: Lost dogs were re-adopted before they had a chance to claim them
- Pizza business concerned about impact of possible King Soopers expansion